EarthCube Data Science Publications
4. Data Science Publication Commons (July 17, 2014)
The product is a Data Publication Commons for EarthCube, ESIP and RDA. See Data Science for RDA.
The Data Publication Commons will maintain data publications for the websites of EarthCube, ESIP and RDA.
Questions: Anything else? Journals? Proceedings?
Answers: We will look around for the best content examples like I did for CODATA and EarthCube. ESIP did not really have any we could find yet.
The Data Publication Commons will provide tools to search through the commons (MindTouch, Excel, and Spotfire all running on servers in the Amazon Cloud)
Questions and Answers:
Can you maintain this as a volunteer? Initially, then we will need/get support from NSF, NASA, etc.
How many hours per work are involved? 1-2 days after the Fourth Plenary to build the Data Science Data Publication for it and then we will see what is next.
What about servers? See above
End of Questions Answers
The selling point to RDA is a demonstration of a technology and a resource for RDA members to gather and link information from EarthCube, ESIP and RDA.
3. Summary History and Workplan (June 26, 2014):
Our 3 level pyramid architecture now has an "NSF owner": Key Note Speaker: Roger Wakimoto.
Dr. Wakimoto said the NSF Directorate for Geosciences (GEO) Strategic Plan: Geo-Vision 2015-2020 (in process for late summer release) will be a "living document" (might be too big for the Web) with the grand challenge being to integrate across the 4 divisions and their individual projects and results and/or how we would link these investments and what would be the "model" for doing that.
So EarthCube could/should produce Open Research Data products for individual projects and integrate across them for EarthCube success and prominence, respectively. EarthCube needs an organizational structure for the workflow to produce these results like what was suggested in a recent paper (PDF):
- Data Management. EarthCube will provide a shared archive in which data, tools, and services are documented and curated, enabling reuse of data sets for new analyses.
- Resource Discovery. Plug-in components will enable resource discovery and direct data access using scientific software in common use, such as Excel, MATLAB, Python, R, ArcGIS, or ModFlow.
- Data Access, Integration, and Processing Tools. User interfaces tailored for specific communities will simplify data access, visualization, and analysis using software that interoperates with EarthCube data or service providers.
- Data Portal. One or more portals will function as user entry points to support data exploration and access tailored for specific communities. One that has been frequently mentioned is a three-dimensional virtual globe for data discovery and exploration, supporting the ability to spatially integrate and display geoscientific data at varying resolutions. See Big Data Science for CODATA.
We have given an example of workflow and results: See EarthCube Special Interest Group on EarthCube Data Science Publications (this post)
2. Recommendation for EarthCube Priority for 2014 (June 25, 2014):
EarthCube should adopt the Data FAIRport principles so it can begin to produce EarthCube Data Science Publications,
Notes from Birds of a Feather Session on Tuesday, June 24th, 4-5 p.m.: Our BoF Session was well-received and the participants told us this was the future of EarthCube (eventually EarthCube would get to this as products) and suggested some data sources to work with to produce data publications along with the list in our Slide 21. Essentially we are doing what the participants said is leading the way (e.g. biomedical research community) and their new initiative (Data FAIRport) which was formed in the past several months with lite-weight governance, architecture, and implementation and now is focused on multi-biomedical research center hackathons to build data publications that answer important research questions. The Data FAIRport will report at the upcoming RDA Conference because it has attracted significant funding in Europe and attention in other science communities. The Federal Big Data Working Group Meetup is building a Data FAIRport,
1. Welcome to our new Interest Group: EarthCube Data Science Publications (June 18, 2014):
We hope to have a Birds of the Feather Session on Tuesday at 4 p.m., Wednesday at 2 p.m., and/or Thursday at 1:30 p.m.
- The Semantic Community and the Federal Big Data Working Group Meetup have produced a series of Data Science Data Publications for senior government officials and programs to demonstrate Open Research Data.
- Semantic Community, founder of the FBDWG Meetup, has submitted an NSF BIGDATA Grant Proposal to continue this work.
- Semantic Community is piloting EarthCube Data Science Publications in an EarthCube Commons Interest Group and in a Birds of a Feather Session at the All-Hands Meeting.
Please attend (in person or virtual) our Federal Big Data Working Group Meetups, June 30, July 7, and August 4-6, for more workforce education and training in data science, data science publications, etc. See Knowledge Base
Thank you, Brand
Dr. Brand Niemann
Director and Senior Data Scientist
Semantic Community (a non-profit devoted to providing a community service)
Examples of Communities Served:
- CODATA: http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/Big_Data_Science_for_CODATA
- CKAN: http://semanticommunity.info/Build_CKAN_in_the_Cloud
- VIVO: http://semanticommunity.info/Build_VIVO_in_the_Cloud
- Chesapeake Bay Program: http://semanticommunity.info/Chesapeake_Bay_Program
- Data.gov: http://semanticommunity.info/Data.gov
- Federation of Earth Science Information Partners: http://semanticommunity.info/Federation_of_Earth_Science_Information_Par...
- First U.S-European Conference of Metropolitan Regional Councils http://semanticommunity.info/First_U.S._%E2%80%93_European_Conference_of...
- Growing Communities on Karst: http://semanticommunity.info/Growing_Communities_on_Karst
- Mid-Atlantic_Regional_Planning_Roundtables: http://semanticommunity.info/Mid-Atlantic_Regional_Planning_Roundtables
- Shenandoah_Valley_Science: http://semanticommunity.info/Shenandoah_Valley_Science
- Sustainable Development in the United States: A An Experimental Set of Indicators: http://semanticommunity.info/Sustainable_Development_in_the_United_State...